Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Father's Love

Bill and I are just about recovered from the 2 week -long Olympic fatigue. Maybe you could relate. Some nights we were up till 1 in the morning cheering on Michael Phelps & the US Swim team or sitting stupefied at some of the wayward scores given to the gymnasts and saying, “there’s no way those Chinese gymnasts are 16!?” And speaking of age, I tried not to point out (too many times) to Bill how old he is since he did actually compete with Nastia Liukin’s father Valerie back in the day…and now we were watching his 18 year old daughter compete in the Olympics!
What a great story. Nastia Liukin won the All-Around gold medal in women’s gymnastics. If you missed it, she has impeccable form and beauty and is simply amazing to watch…she is quite gifted. Almost expected however…her mother a world champion rhythmic gymnast and her father an Olympic champion gymnast. She must have been cart wheeling from birth!
After she won the gold, Bill & I sat watching with tears in our eyes, Nastia and her father embrace and cry. You could just see the pride & love in his eyes for his daughter. It was sweet. Just to think about how much they both sacrificed to be able to compete & win at that level made for a great story. I thought about the many times my father & mother hugged me the same way...with pride & love in their hearts towards me. It also made me think about my Heavenly Father’s love for me. I sometimes picture Him holding me that way when I see him in heaven.
The first time I remember actually feeling God’s love in a tangible way was when He gave me a vision. While praying one day, I saw Jesus standing before me with His arms open wide, and on His hand written in glowing red letters, was my name. The Lord shows me that picture any time I am weary, focused on my sin and feeling condemned. His love for me gives me strength and hope & I am changed by it. I am reminded of how much my Heavenly Father sacrificed for me, by crucifying His Son on the cross. His Word says..."Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands” (Isaiah 49:16)

No comments: