Thursday, April 30, 2009

She Reads!


The challenge for many homeschool moms is learning how to teach each child in the way that they learn best. Madison begged me to teach her to read at 4 and was reading on her own at 5. She is an eager learner and picks things up quickly. As her teacher...she's easy to teach. Adrienne is completely different. She processes things much slower and is timid in her learning often because of fear she'll be wrong or make mistakes...she HATES making mistakes. I have taken a much more hands-off method with her. I want to build her confidence slowly by not pushing her and ultimately discouraging her in her learning. This year I did alot of reading out loud to her and only did formal teaching when she requested it. So we do math books and letter books and lots of playdoh & crafts. Recently we have been working on her lowercase letters by making them with playdoh & then sounding them out. I plan on doing a more formal language arts and math program in September. This morning, Adrienne was very motivated to do school (after much encouragement from daddy last night) so I grabbed Madison's Kindergarten readers, and with a little help, she sounded out the letters and was able to blend them pretty easily and was off reading! (Thank you God!) Alot of high-fives and a lollipop later, my little girl was encouraged and hopefully on her way to the world of reading. I pray the Lord would give me wisdom to teach all my kids (and alot of patience) for as long as he calls me to do this. My main goal for them is that they would LOVE reading and LOVE learning. Great Job Little A! We are soooo proud of you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go A...you can read us a story when we come to visit.

Love PaPa

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!!! A!!!!!
I'm ready to go out and start buying you all kinds of fairy reading books. Can't wait to see you in June...Love you...GeGe

Barbara Robb said...

Christina, I rejoice with you at this wonderful milestone! Your patience and wisdom to wait and trust Adrienne's readiness is bearing fruit! Praise God! Love Barbara

Christina said...

Thanks Barb!