Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Desperate Housewives


This is not a review of the popular TV show but a few comments about a new book I started reading called, "Passionate Housewives Desperate for God" by Jennie Chancey and Stacy McDonald. The 5th chapter titled, "Too Good To Be True: Freedom from the Bondage of Perfectionism" really caught my eye. Here are some good lines from the chapter that really spoke to me.

"I think as wives and mothers, we have a tendancy to fall into the trap of perfectionism rather easily. It starts with a very good and noble desire to set a godly example for our families, our fellow Christians, and the lost. But, before we know it, we start comparing ourselves to others and feeling we fall woefully short."

"When we compare ourselves to others this way, quite simply put, we are being fools. We judge the external because we cannot see the heart..."

"There is no one who is righteous apart from Christ, and even the saintliest Christians stumble."

"The truth is however 'perfect' cultural standards are, they do not measure up to the One Who created us in His image. The True Standard is even higher than we imagine, friends!"

"We need to let go of the strange notion that the only way to be a good Christian is to project an image of sinless perfection and hide our struggles and shortcomings. And so we come to the incredible paradox of the Gospel...:'My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me' (2 Corinthians 12:9). Weakness is strength? We glory in infirmity? Yes, indeed! And this beautiful paradox is what should motivate and encourage us as we serve Christ."

No comments: