Thursday, June 11, 2009

Leaving the Nest

There were 3....
Then 2....
And now only one....

The baby robins are leaving the nest! We watched yesterday as momma & dad coaxed them one at a time out of the nest with a simple call. It was amazing to watch. It was like they knew exactly what she was telling them. One flew into our garage but soon found her way out after some gentle prodding from me. After they were out, momma would fly a little & hop back to the baby as if to say, "this is how you do it, watch me". With each flight the baby would make, momma would go up to her as if to encourage. What an awesome experience it was for me & the kids to watch. It reminded me how my example to my kids speaks volumes more than simple words. Soon all my babies will be leaving the nest. I pray Bill and I can be good examples to them...and eventually watch them fly on their own.
***UPDATE: Hesitant baby #3 took flight as we watched from our laundry room window. We all cheered and clapped. Since then we have spotted momma continue to feed, watch over & encourage her little ones. But now, I'm a little sad they are gone :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful nature story. One of the things I always wanted to pass down to my children and grandchildren was to love the beauty of nature in all forms. Glad the babies made it. MOM

Christina said...

Thanks mom! I'm actually really sad. I miss seeing them up in the nest & watching the mom take such good care of them. Every once in a while I spot one of the babies flying around. It poured last night so I hope they found a nice dry place to sleep.